Donately's Form Builder has been updated since this article. To access newer Form Builder articles, click here.
You have the option to accept four different types of payments for donations: Credit Cards, ACH/Bank Transfer, Mobile Wallet or PayPal. You can decide if you'd to offer one, two or all three as payment options from your form builder.
For a walkthrough of the form builder, please see this article.
- Before you can accept ACH donations, you need to enable this feature in Stripe. Click here to see our full help guide.
- Before you can accept PayPal donations, you will need to link your Donately account to your PayPal account. Head to this page, and click "Connect to PayPal". Once you sign into PayPal, you should be directed back to Donately. The PayPal settings page should also be refreshed, with text confirming your PayPal account is "Connected and Active".
- You can charge almost any kind of credit or debit card, including: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover, or Diners Club.
- You can also accept gift or prepaid cards, so long as they are backed by one of the above companies. An example of this would be an American Express Gift Card.
- These types of cards can be taken from donors anywhere in the world. See here for more information on international donations. Please note, all donations processed through Donately are processed in USD. This means that even if you are in a foreign country, donations will only show and are processed in USD through any Donately form.
- Stripe standard fee for credit card processing is 2.9% + $0.30 per donation. Note that they offer a great discount for nonprofits: Stripe for nonprofits
Bank Transfer (ACH)
- Support for Bank Transfer (ACH) payments through a partnership with Stripe & Plaid. This method eliminates the need for micro-deposits and instead links with your bank's online portal. From there, donors will simply select the bank account they wish to deduct their donation. Note: You do not need a separate account with Plaid.
- ACH donations also incur a very low cost: 0.8%, with no fixed fee, and a cap of $5.
- You must activate ACH before you can accept ACH payments. Click here to see our guide on how to activate.
- Finally, please note that if a bank is not found when searching, it is not eligible for giving via ACH at this time and the donor must choose another method through which to give. PayPal could be a great option in these cases, as you can add most any bank to a PayPal account.
- Mobile Wallet options currently support ApplePay and GooglePay and are updated with new options as Stripe increases their offerings. You can learn more about setting up Mobile Wallet payments as an option for donors by heading to this page.
- One of the most popular and most secure options available is PayPal. Donors can simply log in to their PayPal account and choose any linked payment method or add a new payment method, all in a single flow.
- You'll need to connect your PayPal account with your Donately account in order to accept donations via this method. Head to this page and click "Connect to PayPal" in order to link the accounts.
- If, after connecting, you still see an orange error icon in the form builder, please be sure that the PayPal settings page says "Active and Connected". If this is the case, but the error is still showing, please try manually pressing the refresh button on your browser or logging out and logging back in.
- PayPal's standard rate for processing is 2.9% + $0.30. Note that they offer a great discount for nonprofits: PayPal for nonprofits